25 May 2011

What a great way to start my day

As most of you know, I am unabashedly fascinated w/the British Royal Family, so it should come as no surprise that with my morning tea this fine day, I decided to check out some photos of the Obamas' recent visit w/the Royal Family in Britain. What I found was a CBS photo gallery that was far more laugh-track than pomp and circumstance....Here is the link: http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504963_162-10007880.html?tag=page

The first few pics are of the Obamas meeting Wills and Kate (whose headline-making dress was the real reason I wanted to see these pictures in the first place). I was mildly amused to see that Michelle, although 'cute' in her '50s housewife-style dress, looks deeply frumpy when posed next to the lithe, sophisticated Kate.

However, things only got funnier from there: Keep clicking until you reach the pictures of QE2 greeting the Obamas as they arrive -- the Queen and Michelle are wearing (practically) the same dress! You know Michelle saw that as she got out of the limo and thought, 'F**k, I'm dressed like an 85 year old.' But the next picture provides even more hilarity, as it poses the Obamas next to QE2 and Prince Philip, who is wearing a suit similar to that of Obama. I fully understand that guys have fewer options when it comes to dresswear, but the lineup of this foursome wearing their matching outfits is nothing less than comical -- the Obamas look like a younger, darker, taller version of the Queen and Prince Philip.

The last bit of real entertainment comes in photo 16, wherein everyone looks as if they've smelled a fart and Prince Charles's comb-over is caught in a rogue breeze. Priceless.

All things considered, I feel like the Royal Family has finally found another head of state family who is less photogenic than they are, but maybe the Royals are still riding high on their acquisition of the lovely Kate. Even Prince Charles's comb-over faux pas could not even the score after the preceding pictures.

Do you think CBS *meant* to satirize the state visit, or did they just have no choice b/c they couldn't get better pictures of this motley crew?

And this, folks, is how I started my day. heh.

2 comments:

Eamonn said...

This is one of my favourites - a high five with a toff:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gallery/2011/may/24/barack-obama-uk-state-visit-in-pictures#/?picture=374953269&index=17

Must be pretty surreal to be served lunch by these guys!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gallery/2011/may/25/barack-obama-uk-visit-pictures#/?picture=374976587&index=9

jules said...

Oh, that's fantastic! I loved the comment about Cameron not looking entirely adept at high-fiving -- haha....