15 January 2010

Embassy bound

One of Stephane's cousins is in charge of logistics for the UN and has to go back to PAP to do that. He has agreed to drop me at the Embassy on his way. They are currently evacuating Americans, so it is possible that I will be evacuated, but I do not yet know for sure. I will let you know when I know something. THis is not really my first choice, but after some discussion, we decided that Stephane would be more flexible/effective in his decision making over the next few weeks if I am not here.

I know many of you would like more details about the situation here and I will give a full account at some point in the near future, but due to time and emotional constraints, I will give you only a few descriptions now. To be honest, I have avoided telling you much b/c there is nothing hopeful I can tell you. Port-au-Prince is essentially destroyed, even Hotel Montana, Hotel Karibe, and other 'posh' places in PAP; nothing escaped. The South is gone -- Jacmel, Leogane, Ti Goave, Gran Goave, etc. are all flattened. It is very difficult to imagine how the recovery efforts will proceed, given the lack of resources and government efficacy.

We have slept on the ground two nights, last night in the car. On the second night, the Public Works Ministry was concerned that people in PAP were not getting water (good thought), and so opened all of the water reservoirs at full blast, not thinking that since so much of the city was in ruins, much of this water would end up spilling out of broken pipes (bad implementation). THis led to the streets in downtown (Lavil, Carrefour, etc.) filling w/water, prompting a panic among the people there, who believed that the ocean was rising and flooding the city. We were located about a mile inland and slightly uphill and were quickly overrun by thousands of panicking citizens. It was very difficult to get reliable information, even the police didn't seem to know if there was a problem or not. And that is typical.

Most of the grocery stores were destroyed and there in only limited produce and meat coming from the provinces. Although food aid deliveries have already started, feeding 3million+ people is a daunting task. Given the lack of organization among the police, I do not predict a good security situation in the coming days and weeks.

Aftershocks continue, further panicking people and destabilizing the wreckage.

This is the worst thing I have ever seen.

11 comments:

anne.shaffer.randall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy said...

Thanks for the updates Jules. I cannot even imagine what you guys are going through. We are all praying for you and Stephane. I've been on night float this week and I've been talking about you nonstop. My friends now know a large chunk of your life story-- can't help it, just thinking about you all the time! Everyone wants to meet you now. Lots of love.

Mom said...

Just got up and went straight to the computer - so glad to see another post from you. I was going to ask if y'all were planning to stay in Haiti and do relief work, or come back to the States - evidently you already knew what was on my mind, besides your immediate safety! I was really sobered by your comment about this being the worst thing you've ever seen, considering all the things you've already seen, like in Chad and other places. My heart goes out to everyone in Haiti...especially you. Lots of love, Meem

Jill said...

I've been watching all of the horror on TV and it is the saddest thing I have ever seen. I don't see anything positive in the least little bit like "at least this or that was saved." It's a Hieronymus Bosch painting come to life. I'm sure the PTSD cases will be innumerable. Please let us know what is the most useful thing we can do for you and Haiti at this time. I leave for Hawaii on Wednesday but Gary and the boys will be at home if you can get here. Love you.

Susan said...

Thinking about you and Stephane.

Unknown said...

I know leaving is not your first choice, Julie, but I think that's the right thing to do for both you and for Stephane. Our doors are always open to you and I can't even imagine the emotional trauma you and everyone there are going through. We will continue to keep you in prayer and know that if you need anything (including funds to get home) Rob & I are here for you. We pray for the safety of you, Stephane, and all the people of Haiti! Stay strong and stay positive - God will get you through!

Unknown said...

I also just am waking up. I think I am catching the bug you had. All the previous comments echo all of our thoughts & feelings. I feel very comforted that in all of what's happening that you & Stephane are able to decide what is best for both of you. I have felt that whatever was decided would be what God wants. With the limited resources available & lack of local direction, I am glad that internation agencies are picking up the slack. Hope you are able to get out without too much hassle. Love you.

Marion Gee said...

Thank you for the update. I can't even imagine what its like there- especially when you say its the worst thing you have seen and you were working in Chad. Stay safe. We love you! And let us know if there is anything we can do.
Love,
Marion

Anonymous said...

Comment from Trey:

Hey Jewels,

Thanks for the updating; it's good to read that you're still ok. I neglected to tell my supervisor at work that you were in Haiti (much to the surprise of my office-mates) as you've been through such crazy crap in your life that this just seemed somewhat par for the course and it didn't occur to me to bother mentioning it. I hope you come back soon. If you need anything, just post it here and I'll get right on it. Love you and stay safe!

-Trey

Anonymous said...

Hi Jules

So pleased to hear that you are (given the context) alright. Going by the news, the destruction looks complete. It most probably goes without saying but if you need anything just ask.

Take care my friend
Stuart

Bea said...

Willie and I are waiting -keep safe-tell us what we can do to help. Love bea