26 February 2010

Finally, something to smile about

Haiti visitor makes impact at Severna Park Middle School • Community - Severna Park (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

This is the link to a short article written about a middle school near my house in Maryland and their efforts to help Haiti. A few weeks ago, I spoke to the seventh grade class about what had happened and tried to help them understand how their service learning project can make a difference for Haitians; all I can say is that I am amazed and I think you will be, too, when you read what these 300 or so kids have done. When I picked up their donations on Monday, I fought tears while looking at the boxes and boxes of items they had collected, in addition to their efforts to raise money. It really is incredible to know that members of that community are thinking of Haiti and taking every opportunity to help out. (Incidentally, all together, the seventh grade class donated more than 1,000 items to the donation drive Bea and I are working on, and they did this all during one week. Due to the recent snowstorms, the kids did not have school for more than a week, so in the end they had only about six days to gather their goods and bring them in. In the end, they had so much stuff that Bea's Nissan Cube was packed literally from floor to ceiling and front to back -- even the front passenger seat had things in it -- and I still have to pick up three more bags of things that people brought in after that!)

Additionally, I spent Monday and Tuesday at one of my former high schools, Glen Burnie High, talking to Bea's classes about Haiti and the earthquake. I wasn't sure how much of an impact this would really have, as GB is a rather depressed area itself and many of the kids in that school now can't be bothered (or don't have the means) to properly take care of themselves, let alone try thinking about someone else. I was also a bit nervous b/c some of Bea's classes are a little rough...But it turned out to be a great experience, for me and (I think) for them. Even the rowdiest classes were quiet for more than an hour while I spoke and answered their questions, and already students have brought in hundreds of items for donation.

There were a couple of moments where people were sleeping or chatting/giggling while I was talking about human suffering on an unimaginable scale. During those moments, I wanted to yell at these kids and inform them that their inability to pay attention to someone sharing such a painful, personal experience made me wish that they would one day be victims of a similar horror. But I reined in that impulse, reminded myself that I was fortunate to have the other 95% of the class paying attention/demonstrating interest and understanding, and moved forward. And the donations that we have thus far received reassure me that at least some people were reached.

When I first got back to the US, I didn't want to talk about the things that had happened, mostly b/c it was too hard, but also partly b/c I didn't like feeling like a specimen. Now, when I am talking to groups like this about my experiences, I know it is for a purpose -- to promote awareness and attract donations for those who need them so badly -- and I am much more comfortable. It is never easy (the two days spent in Bea's classroom left me with a slightly sick feeling at the end of each day, remembering everything that had happened), but the knowledge that it is making a positive difference more than makes up for the discomfort.

It's not too late to send any donations you may have (we will be collecting at least through the end of March), I can send you the list of items we are collecting if you are interested, and thanks to everyone who has already helped out -- it means more than you know.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know you want to fix the entire mess, but this is a step. Good for you and good for those kids and teachers. I wish I could go to Haiti and knock some sense into some "leaders'.