23 May 2006

Cal-i-for-nah-ay!: A Travelogue in Picture Form


B/C I am a lazy bitch and didn't feel like fixing this problem, the pictures are actually in reverse chronological order. I don't actually think it will matter since none of you would have known the difference had I not said anythg., but if it matters to you, you can start at the bottom and work up. Many thanks to Marion, one of the world's best photographers, whose mad camera skillz allowed me to leave my own camera at home, which is really good, considering that my bag was still four pounds overweight when I went to the airport to fly home. Also, this first picture *is* actually the first picture we took on the trip and I would like you disregard my face and notice only that a) we were camping (fun!) and b) I am wrapped in a giant coat b/c it was COLD (not fun).







Me and Marion at the crazy seal beach -- there were just so many of them! And please notice the sweaters -- it was NOT warm. Or sunny, for that matter.









SO MANY SEALS!! And did you know that they molt? I did not.













This is me being a jackass at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I was inside a tunnel that, judging by its diminutive clearance and the woman sitting in it w/her two toddlers, was meant for children. But I love tunnels. And that blue fish at the top of the pic.








Oh, you know I had to get in the canoe.













This is what happens when Marion has not yet learned how exactly all of the settings on her camera perform -- it's a freaking work of art!! When I don't know how to use thgs., they usually break or at least produce outcomes of poor quality. Marion, on the other hand, does thgs. like this -- amazing. I love accidental art! This is in the jellyfish room of the Monterey Bay Aquarium, btw -- that's what the lights are -- jellyfish.




Look!! -- it's an English tea house in the middle of CA. I think this explains the astronomical price of real estate in the area; if you convert the sums into pounds, it's not actually that bad.









Me in front a random, but insightful, posting on what is apparently the world's shabbiest recording studio, located in Cambria, CA.










The unreasonably beautiful indoor pool at HC.













This picture only begins to demonstrate the over-the-top-ness of Hearst Castle. Yes, this was meant to be a domicile, not a cathedral.



















Me lounging by the outdoor pool (sans l'eau, malheureusement) at Hearst Castle, just like a thinner, brunette, not-famous Jean Harlow!










Marion and me in the garden at HC


















3 comments:

Marion G. said...

Good times! SO when are you coming back?

Anonymous said...

You are SO cute. Love the canoe. Post more Julie pictures! Post more!

jules said...

Thanks, ladies! Mar, I saw a ticket to LA fr. DC for $189 for this w/e and I was SO close to buying it -- haha! Jennifer, I loved the canoe, too! If I took pics as funny as that one on a regular basis, I would post a lot more pics.