01 May 2006

Word of the Day: Buba

I walk in to Physics today, slightly late as usual, and am greeted w/a sight so wholly unexpected and adorable that I actually exclaimed, "Look at you!!" to my professor. Dr. A, who, as mentioned previously, is Nigerian, was wearing an oversized smock-type shirt, decorated in bold African patterns and vibrant hues of pink, purple, turquoise, and black, which he informed us is called a 'buba' (boo-buh -- he even spelled it for us). I say this was unexpected b/c although he *is* Nigerian, Dr. A. is perhaps the most assimilated foreigner I have ever known. His English is impeccable -- he even understands the nuances and more intuitive aspects of the language that generally separate native speaker fr. fluent, non-native speaker -- he drives some sort of sports sedan, and he has always dressed more like a J.Crew model than someone who would even consider wearing any sort of tribal garb, native African or not. I felt rather like an asshole after my comment (who walks in to a room and says, "Look at you!!"??), but I think he knows that I'm more of jackass than an asshole and that my comment was truly ingenuous. Plus I paid more attn. than usual today b/c I was so amused by the buba, and Dr. A always likes it when I pay attn. heh.

Also seen today was a student, approximately 20 yrs. of age, chasing a hapless yard duck around the grassy area in front of the library. I don't like this when small children do it, so imagine the rage I felt watching this idiot who is apparently old enough to go to university (I would say smart enough, too, but, let's face it -- it's Georgia Southern -- brains have little to do w/admissions) running after an obviously distressed animal waddling as fast as his little legs would go. I was so incensed that I started to run after the guy, w/the intention of running around after him for a few mins., possibly throwing some pine cones for added flair, to let him see what it's like. Then I realized that is REALLY crazy. Then I had this mental picture of me running after this tall black guy while throwing pine cones and yelling and first I laughed, but then I stopped when this was followed by a further mental picture of me being prosecuted for a hate crime or smthg. Then I laughed some more b/c, come on, that's funny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jules, I would like to say that this journal, esp. the past two posts, are much appreciated on test eve. I love your blog. Hope to see you soon!