03 February 2006

"And I'm not happy And I'm not sad..."

Tonight was fun. Certainly more fun than could have been predicted fr. the middle part of my day, which was sandwiched like a faintly rancid piece of meat between more delectable events, namely a slightly dysfunctional (technically), but still amusing chat w/Brianna and Daniel online at the beginning of my day and a fun-filled evening of drinks and a movie w/my friend Tess. Tess, although in the military and stationed in this shithole, is one of the most animated, fun, beautiful, funny ppl. I have met. We were supposed to go see a movie and then meet up w/our hubbies and some friends, but we missed the early showing and 'had' to go get drinks for a couple of hrs. while we lated for the later showing instead. So I ended up laughing a lot, seeing a surprisingly awesome movie ("Something Different"), and enjoying conversation that couldn't be reduced to boobs, butts, and she's-hot-except-for-.....-but-I-would/would-not-do-her. The latter was esp. enjoyable b/c it was a much-needed change fr. my social life of the past four wks. or so. I think everyone in my acquaintance can attest to the fact that I can talk at great length abt. boobs, butts, and whomwouldyoudo, but there comes a time where even I would prefer to talk abt. the latest developments in pig farming than abt. one more person's 'rack'. So, yeah, the sheer variety of tonight's conversation left me somewhat euphoric and provided a far better buzz than the weak-ass drinks at Ruby Tuesday's. (Fucking hate that place.)

Now, let's talk abt. how I am the world's worst chem lab student. Really. If there was a prize for this, I would win every time, hands down. Most of you have already heard abt. the unfortunate water-up-the-gas-hose incident fr. Chem I, then there was my consistently mediocre performance in Chem II lab, and it seems that Organic lab is going to be more of the same, but with the possible addition of a chemical burn and/or small explosion. Take, for example, this past wk.'s lab. Thgs. started out well enough (uh, I was on time for once), but rapidly began the downhill tumble to Shittown. I'll spare you the details, but highlights included:
- Me spilling hydrochloric acid on the floor. Don't worry, though -- my foot blocked most of it.
- Our solute would not dissolve after 15 solid mins. of stirring and when we followed our TA's advice and attempted to begin the flitration, the solid chunks blocked our filter and we had to drain the liquid, unclog the funnel filter, and attempt to perform the experiment w/our significantly weakened solution.
- Naturally, this led to our experiment not working properly, which led to our professor coming over to see how we had fucked up the first (and therefore easiest) real lab of the semester. After asking a few questions and shaking her head, she just said to me, "Well, you're doing a great job of stirring that."
- Katie and I ended up taking longer than every other grp. in the class save one, which would be just plain annoying under normal circumstances, but because we were using ether for this experiment, my prolonged time in the lab combined with my quick, shallow breaths of frustration to produce a hellacious headache and a more than usually severe feeling of disorientation. I then got in my car, drove the 50 mi. back to my town, and spent the next 4 hrs. in the ER for my volunteering shift. Luckily, there is little traffic on the roads I use and by the time I had to start an IV, I had more or less recovered.
- As we were leaving the lab, I tried to make amends w/our TA for being such a pain in the ass and I jokingly said, "Sorry we suck!" expecting her to laugh and say smthg. like, "Oh, no, no..." or smthg. similary reassuring. Instead, she said, "It's okay," and sighed. HA!

All I can say is, I'm really glad Katie was my lab partner last semester, too, b/c she knows I'm terrible at this and has learned to laugh. Plus, she's not v. good, either, so we get to take turns being the jackass.

Off to bed for me. I have a big day of cleaning to look forward to b/c I need to get this place in shape for Christy and Jennifer's impending visit (YAY!!!) and also b/c if Eli nags me one more bob-damned time abt. it, I'm going to have to flee the country to avoid being arrested for murder. I am hoping to travel more, but I would rather not have to do so under an assumed identity. Unless, of course, that identity is wealthy and attractive, in which case Eli better watch his back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bitch- email me your address...oh, miss you!

Marion G. said...

Happy birthday Miss Julie!!! Hey have you looked into coming back to Scotland with me in March???? Cuz that would be fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Miss you and have a great day (your pressie should be there within a couple days depending on USPS).